Z . A. Downs was the founder of one of the first funeral directing establishments in Superior, Wis. After being affiliated with Lodge and Whitney, a furniture and undertaking company, he went into business privately in 1888.
He was first located in the Minnehaha Block between 11th St. & 12th St. on Ogden Ave. and then later moved to 16th St. & Tower Ave, where he served the community for ten years.
After moving to 1515 Belknap St., where he was established for 20 years, he moved to 1708 Ogden Ave.
Following the death of Z. A. Downs in 1936, his son, William M. Downs was named president of the firm. He held that position for three decades before his death and in 1966 his son, Robert G. Downs, was named president.
Many changes have occurred over the years. While previous Downs Funeral Home locations were converted buildings and residences, the present building at 19th Street and Ogden Avenue was designed and built in 1955 specifically to be a funeral home.
In 1992, a 4th generation funeral director from the Downs family, Robert G. Downs, Jr., became president of the corporation.